History of ASQ and Section 1501 (Link to PDF … ASQ History)
The Birmingham Section of the American Society for Quality (ASQ) was founded in 1949, just 3 years after the formation of The American Section of Quality Control (now ASQ) itself in 1946. In 1970 as ASQC grew, the Birmingham Section number changed from Section 1500 to 1501 as it remains today. Our Section has contributed in many ways to ASQ, from providing 5 members to ASQ Headquarters over a weekend in 1994 to write the original Certified Quality Manager’s Exam questions to Hosting ASQ’s Automotive Division Conference at Barber Motorsports Park in the 2000’s. Birmingham Section Membership reached 400 in the mid-90’s including a number of International members. The section maintains a very business and industry diverse membership, including medical, education, bio-pharm, industrial, commercial and consumer products, banking, financial and insurance services and many more. The section also values our student members by providing various opportunities for engagement and educational enrichment.
Frank Knight, Ph.D./ASQ Fellow
Section 1501 Historian